Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Question to Ponder

I just started the book The Purpose Driven Life on Monday of this week.  I've had the book for about three years now, but just never committed myself to it as I have now.

My Question to Ponder for today is:  What would my family and friends say is the driving force in my life?


I posed that question on Facebook.  The comments were by far my Faith.  And, while my faith is strong, I guess I took the question on a little bit of a different angle.


My answer to my question to ponder is work.  Work is truly the driving 'force' in my life.  Not the driving 'feeling in my heart and soul, that WOULD be my faith.  And, you know what?  When I immediately answered that question to myself, I was sad.  Very, very sad.


'They' say you should live to work, not work to live.  All I have ever done, since the age of 15 is work to live.  


I'm not a monetary person.  I could have maybe been called that in the past, but that was a very long time ago.  And, it was a 'maybe'.  Of course, I like nice things.  Who doesn't?  But, I don't obsess over them.  A few years ago, shoes maybe, shoes were an obsession, but I never spent beyond what I could on shoes.  I learned at a young age that I was not a Jones, nor could I keep up with them.  


A favorite local music artist has a song called Mrs. Jones Again.  One of my favorite lines is "I can't keep up with the Joneses, I stopped tryin' long ago".  Yep, me too, Matt.


Yes, we have a house, a nice one, but not over the top, we have cars, trucks, and again, nice, dependable, but not over the top.  But, here in lies the problem.  We owe money on all of them.  Therefore, I work to live.


Mistakes?  Absolutely.  Lesson learned? Positively.  


If I believed in 'wishes' my wish would be to get rid of these things, live simply, give more, do more for others, not just work to pay the bills.


I'm continuing to pray each morning, with each chapter of this book for God to show me my purpose in life.  It has to be something more than this.  And, not because I want any praise for it, by no means is that what I mean or need.  I don't want to be remembered for anything, I just want to be doing what God wants me to do.  To use my talents, whatever they may be that He blessed me with, for His purpose.  









1 comments:

Julie Coney said...

SO.... after you posted this ( in both places...) I have given the answer much thought. My offering of my opinion as to the driving force of your life, has caused me to examine what drives me as well. I offer it, knowing full well, I am ensnared by the same issue.
I would say that I see "acceptance" as the driving force of your life. I believe that in desiring for people to accept you.... think well of you.... or in the name of not offending someone.... those are behind the choices you make.
Along the way, everyday we have little one line conversations with ourselves, these statements and self questioning, and the answers we give, are very telling as to what drives our life.

~I don't want someone to be mad... or go with out... so....I'll just....
~I just wish my boss understood all I do......
~Don't my kids and my husband see all that I do for them?......
~I can't say that!.... It would hurt someone's feelings!.....


Thank you for posting this thought that you were to ponder. It really made me think. Not only so that I might respond as you requested people to do on FB.... but it really caused me to be introspective and see if my own driving force is pleasing God... or pleasing people. I too, by God's grace, have much work to do.

Post a Comment